The Fishers Police Department is investigating over thirty complaints of suspects entering vehicles overnight. All occurred in residential neighborhoods near 116th Street between Eller Road and Allisonville Road. The Fishers Police Department believes the majority of this type of crime can be prevented if residents implement the following safety tips:
1. NEVER leave valuables in your vehicle. Thieves will often take the time to look into windows before choosing a particular vehicle to break-in. Any item, duffle bag or unknown object may entice a criminal to break into a vehicle. ALWAYS remove items such as GPS devices, CD’s, computers, purses, cellular phones, audio systems, keys, garage door openers and other items of value. NEVER leave a firearm in your vehicle!
2. Never leave your vehicle unsecured, even if you are only going to be away from it for a short time. Thieves only need a few seconds to open an unlocked door and retrieve valuables that are left in plain sight.
3. Park in your garage, if you have one. Park in a well-lit driveway if you must. Please do NOT leave your vehicle in the street. If you have to park in the street, avoid dark or isolated areas.
4. Install an alarm system that will sound when someone attempts to break-in, move, or start your vehicle. Always activate the system when leaving your vehicle unattended.
5. Don’t leave spare keys attached to the outside of your vehicle or hidden inside your vehicle. An experienced thief knows all the hiding places.
6. Park in open, well-lighted, and populated areas near your destination. Avoid parking near trucks, vans, dumpsters, or other objects that obstruct visibility and provide hiding places. Avoid parking near strangers loitering or sitting in vehicles.
7. Turn off your engine, roll up all your windows, lock all doors, and take your keys with you even if you are making a quick stop at a store or gas station, or even in your driveway.
If you see or hear something suspicious please call 911 immediately! Pay extra attention to your own neighborhood and always look out for each other!