About The Sleddy
What do you get when you combine a world-renown surf tournament and a giant sledding hill? The Sleddy! Inspired by The Eddie Aikau Invitational ("The Eddie") is the ultimate big wave surf tournament in the world that only takes place when the conditions are just right at Hawaii's Waimea Bay. Some years the tournament is "on". Other years, it's "off".
Fishers Parks & Recreation is embracing this event and adding snow! The Sleddy may take place between January 3 and March 19, pending the right conditions at Flat Fork Creek Park. Fishers Parks & Recreation will release a statement 24 hours in advance on via Facebook and Twitter if The Sleddy is "on", and registered teams will assemble at the designated time with their sledding devices to launch The Sleddy.
Children and adults can get ready for The Sleddy by recruiting teammates, registering their team and building their sledding device. Tailgating is available after the event, and and alcohol, grills (no charcoal) and 10’x10’ pop-up tents are welcome.
Competing teams will be judged in three categories, and first, second and third place will be recognized based on the combined scores of all three categories. Categories include:
- Speed – score based on how fast the sled travels down the hill on a police radar.
- Distance – score based on how far the sled travels down the hill.
- Creativity – score is determined by the design and originality of your sledding device and your crew. The more inventive, the better!
- Participants must pre-register before the event is announced. The event date will be announced 24 hours in advance on Fishers Parks & Recreation's Facebook and Twitter pages, and may occur any day between January 3, 2018 and March 19, 2018.
- All riders must have read and understand the rules and signed the liability waiver.
- Teams may consist of 2 to 5 members (no more than 5 occupants are permitted on a sled).
- All riders must bring and wear protective head gear (ex: bike or ski helmet) during the competition.
View rules and regulations for additional details about sled device construction, competition details, and tailgating rules. Teams can also check out Winterfest for sledding device ideas and inspiration from a similar event.