- Fishers Health Department
- Teen Public Health Academy
Teen Public Health Academy
Fishers Health Department Teen Public Health Academy
This one-week health academy is a hands-on interactive experience for incoming 9th-12th graders. Interested students will learn about public health career professions, public health at a local health department level, and insights of what the City of Fishers Health Department (FHD) does to protect and promote health and well-being of residents. The academy will be held on July 17-22, 2023 from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm Monday through Friday and 7:00 am - 1:00 pm Saturday. Spaces will be limited and preference will be given to Fishers residents.
FHD Public Health Academy Participants May
- Meet City and Public Health Leaders.
- Visit Indiana Department of Health Laboratory,
- Test public water sources for contaminants (e.g., Geist Reservoir, White River).
- Sample mosquito populations for West Nile Virus
- Learn from public health staff.
- Experience hands-on activities and trainings (e.g., Naloxone administration).
- Conduct scenario-based table-top exercises on a variety of public health topics (e.g., emergency preparedness, communicable disease investigations and surveillance).
- Develop a health education outreach activity to be delivered at the Fishers Farmer's Market on July 22.
Public Health Academy Structure
- July 17-22, 2023 from 9:00 am - 1:00 pm Monday through Friday and 7:00 am - 1:00 pm Saturday.
- Location: Monday-Friday Riverside Junior High School (10910 Eller Rd, Fishers, IN 46038). Saturday Nickel Plate Amphitheater (6 Municipal Drive, Fishers, IN 46038).
- Students are expected to provide their own transportation to and from the site. Transportation during academy activities will be provided.
- How do I apply for the Public Health Academy?
- You can access the FHD Teen Public Health Academy Application below.
- When is the application due?
- The application is due by 11:59 pm Sunday, April 30, 2023. Students will be notified of their acceptance via email. Be sure and use a valid email address so we can reach you.
- Is there a cost to attend?
- There is no cost for attendance.
Prior to submitting the application, please be sure you have the following documents ready to upload
- Teen Public Health Academy Program Release (consent) and Memorandum of Understanding. Download and complete by clicking here Consent and Memorandum of Understanding.
- Letter of recommendation from an adult who is not a parent/guardian speaking to why the participant will benefit from attending the Teen Public Health Academy.