Intern - Police Department
Police Department, Fishers, Indiana
The Fishers Police Department's internship program is designed to provide interns with a hands on learning experience. The expectations of our internship program is for the student to be able to gain knowledge about our department and what it takes to succeed in a law enforcement career. At the conclusion of the internship, the intern should be able to reflect and articulate upon the experiences with which they were involved. Our interns are required to be active participants in the learning process and not simply passive learners. Both the student and the Fishers Police Department should benefit from the experience. This is a non paid internship program that will take place during the summer of 2018.
Example of Duties
During the internship, the intern will be assigned to various police officers within the Fishers Police Department. Specific duties and responsibilities will be reflective of the type of assignment each officer presents. The intern will be exposed to our patrol division, criminal investigations division, support division, training department, intelligence unit, K9 program, dive team, and others. The goal of the internship will be to expose the intern to as many components and divisions within our department. This will present an accurate representation as to what someone can expect in a career as a police officer. The intern will be expected to be flexible and helpful towards the goal of their own internship as well as the needs of the department.
1. Shall possess a valid Indiana driver's license (or obtain one within 60 days of becoming an Indiana resident) and have no more than eight active points.
2. Shall be a US citizen.
3. Shall be at least 18 years of age.
4. Shall be drug-free, and have no convictions for operating a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs.
5. Shall not have a conviction for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, or operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol content of .08% or above.
6. Shall have no felony convictions.
7. Shall not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
8. Shall not have been dishonorably discharged from the military.
9. Shall be a high school graduate or possess a GED certificate.
10. Shall not have used an illegal drug in the last three years.